Sunday 27 March 2016

The Process Behind 'The Seven Gates: Abstract No. 2'


Here's the next in my abstract series and it's the companion piece to 'Welcome':


I planned the painting first on paper using the theme of self destruction and voluntary isolation as my starting point. Once I'd got a rough idea I headed into Photoshop to further develop it. This takes a long time as I tried numerous possibilities, seeing the difference made to the feeling of the painting by changing a line or a colour. Here are some of the images from the later stages I went through:


As you can see I toyed with the idea of adding in my construction lines but in the end I preferred to keep the inner workings hidden in the final painting. You will also notice that I tried flipping and rotating the painting to get the best result. This was really interesting because I'd turn it one way and say to myself that that's not it. Then when I turned it to its final position it hit me that this was precisely what I was looking for. It's surprising the difference turning or flipping a painting can make.

When it came to the painting stages I added many layers of paint that later would be revealed when I scratched off certain areas. I'll let the time lapse video show this better:

 

Thanks a lot for reading and next week I'm going to write a post about genres. See you then.


No comments:

Post a Comment